"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

first post!

Two years ago, if you would have told me I'd be writing a blog (and enjoying it) I would have thought you were crazy. I can't say I've ever been much of a fan of blogging, the whole idea has always seemed a little self-indulgent.. but here I am!

I moved to Hong Kong from New York city almost two weeks ago, 12 days to be exact. So this will be my way to share my experiences, pictures, etc with my friends and family back in New York and Boston.

Since I've arrived the weather has been gray, humid, and chilly, although I really can't complain. I hear NY has been pummeled with snow so I won't feel too sorry for myself. I'm living in a really interesting area, Wan Chai, which used to be Hong Kong's red light district. Don't worry, Mom and Dad, it is completely gentrified now with several nice restaurants, shops and markets in the neighborhood. Behind my building, there is a small marketplace with all sorts of vendors selling flowers, produce, clothing, home goods... and fish. Lots of stinky fish, shrimp, and shellfish. I will not be grocery shopping locally any time soon.

Tonight, I am looking forward to checking out the Hong Kong Art Walk, basically a large scale open house that will feature 65 local galleries from 5 until midnight tonight. After all of the complimentary wines and cocktails, I am not sure how much "walking" will really be involved, but I can't wait to find out!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment